Thursday, April 20, 2006

Statement from Jeanne Woodford Regarding Her Resignation as Acting Secretary to the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

Jeanne Woodford released the following statement regarding her resignation as Acting Secretary at CDCR.

"Today I am stepping down as acting Secretary of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

I will continue to serve in my appointed position as the Undersecretary of the Department pending my July 6, 2006 retirement.

My decision to leave the department after 28 years has been a very personal one. This choice is based on my commitment to my family and in no way reflects any change in my belief that this department is headed in a positive direction. We have made great progress toward reforming the largest correctional organization in the country and I know that those who will remain after me will continue to advocate the changes that must be made.

It has been an honor to serve the Schwarzenegger Administration. I am proud that Governor Schwarzenegger chose me to lead this organization at such a critical time in its history."